Tenafly High School Celebrates 45th Olympics

On March 8, the four grades competed once again to bring home the title of Olympic Champions. From hall decorating to class cheer to breakout rooms, the events (and amounts of joyful competition) were endless.

Throughout the Olympics day, students were anxiously watching the scoreboard, especially as the competition became close between the juniors and seniors. While the class of 2024 seniors were able to win the Olympics for the second consecutive year, the juniors secured the coveted Sportsmanship Award for their third consecutive year. The junior class’s exceptional display of sportsmanship, fair play, and respect for opponents stood out throughout the competitive games, earning them this prestigious recognition. 

Starting with the open gym events, students got to watch and participate in some new events which included table surfing and pass the balls relay. Table surfing was first introduced in the 2023 fall pep rally, and it seemed to be an exciting addition to the Olympics. Tenafly’s tiger spirit shined in the gym as each grade came decked in their class color with high spirits. 

However, as early as the weeks leading up to the Olympics, each class is busy with preparations in order to make the day a booming success. The night before the Olympics, class officers and student volunteers from each grade participate in hallway decorating to make the hallway as immersive and lively as possible.

Junior Olympic advisor, Mrs. Barker, commented how hallway decorations became a tradition. “During COVID-19 when we weren’t allowed to have students in the gym, so we decorated halls instead,” she said. “They came out so great in 2021, that we decided to keep it in the halls.” The winning class for the hallway decorations this year was the Juniors, whose theme centered around Spiderman and the numerous challenges junior year brings—like the SAT exam, for example, which was to take place the day after the Olympics. The juniors worked tirelessly to hang a stuffed Spiderman out of the ceiling and create spiderwebs out of red tape on the floors. 

Olympics would not have been possible without the vigorous efforts of our THS custodians. Mrs. Barker noted that they are extremely supportive and excited even though “this event is a bit of a headache.” Pie eating, the strenuous obstacle course, and limbo are just some of the many events that required their help to make the day run smoothly.

Final score:

Here are some additional scores in case you are curious:

Class Feud:

1. Seniors
  2. Freshmen
  3. Juniors
  4. Sophomores

Class Logo:

1. Juniors
  2. Freshmen
  3. Sophomores
  4. Seniors

Class Cheer:

1. Juniors
  2. Sophomores
  3. Freshmen
  4. Seniors

Hallway Decorations:

1. Juniors
  2. Freshmen
  3. Seniors
  4. Sophomores

Banner:

1. Seniors
  2. Juniors
  3. Freshmen 
  4. Sophomores

Drawing:

1. Sophomores
  2. Juniors
  3. Freshmen
  4. Seniors

Four-Way Cage Ball:

1. Juniors
  2. Freshmen
  3. Sophomores
  4. Seniors

Graphic Design Logo:

1. Juniors
  2. Sophomores
  3. Freshmen
  4. Seniors

Karaoke:

1. Seniors
  2. Juniors
  3. Sophomores
  4. Freshmen

Knockout:

1. Freshmen
  2. Seniors
  3. Sophomores and Juniors tie

Limbo:

1. Juniors
  2. Seniors
  3. Freshmen
  4. Sophomores

Lip Sync Battle:

1. Sophomores
  2. Seniors
  3. Freshmen
  4. Juniors

Commercial:

1. Seniors
  2. Juniors
  3. Sophomores
  4. Freshmen

Musical Chairs:

1. Seniors
  2. Juniors
  3. Sophomores
  4. Freshmen

Pie Eating:

1. Sophomores
  2. Seniors
  3. Juniors
  4. Freshmen

Table Surfing:

1. Seniors
  2. Juniors
  3. Sophomores
  4. Freshmen

Tug of War

1. Juniors
  2. Sophomores and Seniors
  3. Freshmen

T-Shirt Design

1. Juniors
  2. Seniors
  3. Freshmen and Sophomores

Fun facts:

• There were no events with no-shows.
  • The sophomores won the lip sync battle for their second consecutive year. 
  • This year, the majority of the Olympics Committee was comprised of sophomores (including two twins: Chloe and Ashley).
  • The Olympics Committee always has Oreos at each meeting.

Overall, the day was a blast and every grade put in an amazing amount of effort. A special thank you to the Olympic Committee, THS staff, class officers, and student body for making the Olympics the spectacle it was this year!