Triple C’s Book Review #3: Normal People

Welcome! We’re Triple C: a dynamic trio of juniors (Kavya, Kailyn, and Anoushka), bonded by both a shared passion for literature and the coincidental charm of all having last names starting with the letter C. Our book review promises a diverse and engaging exploration of exciting books, and we invite fellow book lovers to join us on our literary journey!

Lately, I’ve found myself stuck in a reading slump. You can find my room scattered with an array of books, ranging from unfinished to never even begun. So, when I started Normal People by Sally Rooney, I more than expected it to fall victim to my vicious cycle. But I couldn’t have been more wrong. 

Normal People takes place in Ireland, and is about the turbulent romance of Marianne and Connell, switching between their lives in high school and in university and adulthood. From the opening scene, set in Marianne’s kitchen, the readers are made explicitly aware of the contrast between the two characters, with Marianne coming from an affluent family, but being considered an outcast at their high school, and Connell being well liked, but not coming from wealth. Despite their differences, they find comfort and commonalities with each other and fall into a frustratingly hidden situationship. 

In high school, Connell grapples with shame and embarrassment from his feelings for Marianne, but, only a few pages later, the narrative gets flipped and Marianne becomes the center of attention at their new college. Throughout the story, Rooney’s anecdotes present both the flaws and the virtues of the two characters’ lives, providing an underlying message on mental illness, class discrepancies and political leanings.

Although the story doesn’t particularly have detailed descriptions or complex writing, Rooney’s words leave the readers with a particularly poignant sensation; the dialogue that takes place between the characters is evocative, and it has a strong ability to connect readers to the story. Witnessing Connell and Marianne’s subconscious devotion to one another was an experience that I wish I could relive. The story is appreciable not only for its depiction of emotional struggle and hurt but also for its depiction of love through the lens of raw authenticity. Rooney uses remarkable insight and sensitivity to create a complex and vulnerable love story that will be sure to leave you hanging on every word. She has mastered the miscommunication trope, and Normal People has left me with nothing short of an existential crisis in the best way possible, as it’s truly  a “will they or won’t they” story like no other. 

Be sure to check in next week for another review! – Anoushka <3